Camp Talahi is a beautiful, private facility that is ideal for overnight groups of up to 80 people and daytime events for up to 150. We would love to talk to you about a rental package that fits your group’s needs. Please contact Hannah at email@example.com for more information.
Originally built in 1918, the lodge is Talahi’s primary gathering place. It features:
- A large central room (for details, download the event planning diagram, which shows various ways to arrange seating in the lodge)
- Screened-in porch that wraps around the lodge on two sides
- A fully-equipped commercial kitchen
- Coffee maker and ice machine available for group use
- An accessible ramp from the driveway
- 18 tables and 70 chairs included in rental
Camp Talahi has two dorms, Lakeview and Ridgeview. Each dorm features:
- Bunk bed sleeping space for 40 people, divided into two long rooms with multiple doors (see a floor plan diagram of our dorms)
- One “cubby” storage area per bunk bed
- A large common area between the two rooms
- Men’s and women’s bathrooms, each with 2 showers, 4 sinks and 3-4 bathroom stalls
- Ground-level entry and accessible ramps between the bedroom and bathroom areas
Camp Talahi is on Lake Chenago, a small lake in the Brighton Recreation Area. The lake is semi-private, with a small public boat access off Shaffer Road that brings in the occasional fisherman. The lake features:
- Large sand beach for lounging and sandcastle building!
- Boat house with sand toys, fun noodles, paddles and life jackets (rental groups: please ask us if you would like to use the boat house)
- Beginner swimming area (max depth 4′) separated by the dock from the deeper part of the lake
- Swimming raft in the deep end (depth 6′-12′)
- Five canoes and a paddleboat (must have lifeguard)
- Catch-and-release fishing opportunities
- Sand volleyball court nearby
- No swimming or boating is allowed without a lifeguard on duty! Camp Talahi works with several certified lifeguards who may be available for private events with sufficient notice and at an additional cost
Outdoor Gathering Areas
Camp would not be camp without gathering around a campfire! Camp Talahi has several locations where groups can gather.
Sticking its back up directly between the lodge and the lake, Hippo Hill is the primary picnic area, featuring:
- A beautiful lake view!
- Fire pit surrounded by benches that seat 30-50 people
- Well-stocked firewood shelters
- Nearby volleyball court and play field
- 8 picnic tables–this is a great place for an outdoor meal or meeting
Nestled down a short trail, Fire Valley it is the best place on camp for a bonfire!
- Very large fire pit
- Fully encircled by benches that seat 80-100 people
- Well-stocked firewood shelters
Often used for services, wedding ceremonies, and other quiet and reflective activities, Vesper Hill is by far the most beautiful location at camp.
- Incredible lake views
- Two rows of benches facing the lake
- Large stone altar and cross
- Large, relatively flat grassy area (great for group reflection, streching or yoga and more)
Trails and More
Forest and Field Trails
Camp Talahi’s trail areas are divided along the road: one side is meadow, the other a hilly pine forest. The trails total about 3.5 km (2 miles), so our annual 5k run does double back a little but, but it’s still a great run with the biggest hills in southeast Michigan! More trails, including horse and mountain biking trails, are accessible in the nearby Brighton Recreation Area.
A little further off the beaten track (about a 10 minute walk from the lodge), the camper’s meadow is a great open space that is great for running games like Capture The Flag!
- Large open field
- Mowed trails all the way around
- Small fire pit and campfire space
- Suggested location for overflow parking
- Could also be used for tent camping area separate from the rest of camp (with porta-potty rental)
The adventure course includes several low-ropes teambuilding obstacles. Do not use the adventure course without a trained instructor. With sufficient notice and some additional cost, Camp Talahi is happy to provide trained instructors who can make the adventure course fun, challenging and safe for kids and adults alike!